Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Troll's Bridge

I subscribe to a podcast called, The Drabblecast, which each week they broadcasts a speculative fiction short story. Often at the top of the show they will read a story they call a Drabble, which is a story exactly 100 words in length. I think this is a great writing exercise, so I gave it a try. Here is one of my creations:


The Troll's Bridge
So, you're a colonist heading to the new worlds? Watch out for an expanse of space called the Troll’s Bridge. Big, ugly green aliens lurk out there, preying on passing convoys. They generate magnetic fields that rip our ships from light speed. God only knows how they developed the technology, dumb as they are. Once they attack, it's everyone for themselves.

Me? I've crossed the Bridge many times in the past, so I can guarantee you safe passage. Avoiding capture is easy, if you know how. The trick is to make sure your ship isn't the slowest in the fleet.


Daniel Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment